You know: in a foolish, undiscriminating way, I've been happy these last few months. I don't know why. I just am. I love my friends; I love my pupils; I love what I read; I -- dammit -- love my thoughts. I love the taste of oranges.
Thornton Wilder in a letter to Gertrude Stein, Aug 14, 1936

Thursday, April 8, 2010

TWO QUOTES ABOUT SPRING


...and the spring, my gracious what a spring, all March we have been sitting out on the terrace without our coats and such masses of violets, primroses, jonquils and even birds...and the fields and the oxen and the sheep, only the cows are still confined, I begged the peasants to let them out to see the spring time, but they say they kick up their heels too much when they are first let out so they don't let them out until the spring fever is past, such is the life of cows...

--Gertrude Stein in a letter to Thornton Wilder, 24 March, 1940

Nothing is so beautiful as Spring--

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment