You know: in a foolish, undiscriminating way, I've been happy these last few months. I don't know why. I just am. I love my friends; I love my pupils; I love what I read; I -- dammit -- love my thoughts. I love the taste of oranges.
Thornton Wilder in a letter to Gertrude Stein, Aug 14, 1936

Monday, May 16, 2011

MANGA MANIA: ONINBO AND THE BUGS FROM HELL, by Hideshi Hino

Oninbo and the Bugs from Hell (Hino Horror, 3)Oninbo and the Bugs from Hell by Hideshi Hino
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oninbo is a little boy demon with Peter Lorre eyes. When he laughs he says, "tee hee." His purpose is to devour the bugs from hell that infest the souls of individuals who have suffered and repressed great trauma or guilt, or have had the misfortune to run foul of some ghost. Once Oninbo sniffs one out, he follows the infected person home and hides in the attic. The bug must reach a certain size before it is ready for him to eat. To check on the bug's growth, and to discover why the person is infected, Oninbo waits until the victim is asleep and then makes himself tiny enough to either crawl into their ear or swim into their eye socket.  When he finds the bug he can see the reason for the infestation, and if the bug is large enough he gets excited and sings a little song. Once he sucks the bug out and gobbles it down, the previously infected person, along with parents or spouses, naturally wonder who this creepy little kid is. Oninbo disappears into the night. tee hee.

Oninbo has an enemy named Mamushinbo.


View all my reviews  



No comments:

Post a Comment