You know: in a foolish, undiscriminating way, I've been happy these last few months. I don't know why. I just am. I love my friends; I love my pupils; I love what I read; I -- dammit -- love my thoughts. I love the taste of oranges.
Thornton Wilder in a letter to Gertrude Stein, Aug 14, 1936

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: THIS SHAPE WE'RE IN by Jonathan Lethem

This Shape We're InThis Shape We're In by Jonathan Lethem
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Brief and nifty. At fifty-five pages and with largish print, I think that in some other format, say The New Yorker, this would not be so much a novella as a long short story,

Perhaps the people at McSweeney's have figured something out. Is this what their readership is searching for? Books that remind them of the first "chapter books" they read in fourth grade? Do they remember their proud parents telling neighbors, "We're so pleased with Joshua. He's begun reading chapter books."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment