You know: in a foolish, undiscriminating way, I've been happy these last few months. I don't know why. I just am. I love my friends; I love my pupils; I love what I read; I -- dammit -- love my thoughts. I love the taste of oranges.
Thornton Wilder in a letter to Gertrude Stein, Aug 14, 1936

Thursday, March 8, 2012

NAMES OF THE MONTHS IN HEIAN JAPAN

The following are literal translations of the names of the months used during the Heian Period (794 - 1185) in Japan

1) Sprouting Month
2) Clothes-lining Month
3) Ever-growing Month
4) U no hana Month (the u no hana was a pretty white shrub)
5) Rice Sprouting Month
6) Watery Month
7) Poem-composing Month
8) Leaf Month (i.e. the month when leaves turn)
9) Long Month (i.e. the month with long nights)
10) Gods-absent Month
11) Frost Month
12) End of the year




(From The Pillow Book of Sei Shonogon
Penguin Edition, trans. by Ivan Morris)

No comments:

Post a Comment