You know: in a foolish, undiscriminating way, I've been happy these last few months. I don't know why. I just am. I love my friends; I love my pupils; I love what I read; I -- dammit -- love my thoughts. I love the taste of oranges.
Thornton Wilder in a letter to Gertrude Stein, Aug 14, 1936

Monday, March 1, 2010

TRAILERS FROM HELL




Monday morning is my Trailers from Hell morning. You will see it listed among my Links.

Three times a week, one of their contributors, known as the Grindhouse Gurus, comments on one of his or her favorite film trailers. The grindhouse angle and the site's name seem to relate to its original inspiration, when those in the know on exploitation and horror films would expound on one of the sensational classics of drive-in cinema. Over the years, however, you get people discussing such films as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole, hardly drive-in fare.

But I doubt that those behind the site feel saddled with the name. It is designed to rope you in, just like the titles and the trailers of the films they celebrate. And they really know their stuff. Eli Roth's commentary on Squirm left me nostalgic for the Texas Theater on Jefferson Blvd, and I frequently jump from the site to Netflix to see if, say, Night Call Nurses is on DVD. (It's listed as coming soon.)

If you sign up for the email announcements, you can see the latest trailer on Monday and check out the two you missed from the week before. Perfect with that first cup of coffee.

One word of warning. If for some reason you are a John Landis fan, he comes of as an idiot.

1 comment:

  1. Will start checking out the trailers.

    What is your Goodreads link?

    Mine is http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDY1NDI1NDA6MzI2

    ReplyDelete