You know: in a foolish, undiscriminating way, I've been happy these last few months. I don't know why. I just am. I love my friends; I love my pupils; I love what I read; I -- dammit -- love my thoughts. I love the taste of oranges.
Thornton Wilder in a letter to Gertrude Stein, Aug 14, 1936

Saturday, July 9, 2011

MANGA MANIA: ONINBO AND THE BUGS FROM HELL VOL 2, by Hideshi Hino

Oninbo and the Bugs from Hell 2 (Hino Horror, 4)Oninbo and the Bugs from Hell 2 by Hideshi Hino
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oninbo, that irrepressible devourer of bugs from hell, is back for more adventures. Bugs from Hell reside in the souls of those who have undergone extreme trauma, and so Oninbo works for the public good, entering via the eyes or ears of the afflicted to devour the creatures that could be the result of over-demanding parents or the shock of seeing a neighbor murder his wife.

In Oninbo Vol !, our hero faced off with a rival. Mamushinbo, and in this second volume there is a girl demon named Himembo. This time around, all three learn the value of cooperation when faced with unusually large, fierce bugs or other situations that require a Three Musketeers approach for a successful resolution.

This is Hino at his best, surrounding sympathetic characters with the most outrageous images of gore imaginable, concocting the perfect kid's story that most parents must hate to find their kids reading. When I was twelve years old, I could have dwelled for hours on the image of the bulging eyed, fanged caterpillar spitting venom from its furry proboscis, turinng the page only to ejoy again the transformation of gentle Nakamura into a reptilian monstrosity that says "Hi There!" to her victims.


View all my reviews     




No comments:

Post a Comment