You know: in a foolish, undiscriminating way, I've been happy these last few months. I don't know why. I just am. I love my friends; I love my pupils; I love what I read; I -- dammit -- love my thoughts. I love the taste of oranges.
Thornton Wilder in a letter to Gertrude Stein, Aug 14, 1936

Sunday, October 2, 2011

MANGA MANIA; 7 BILLION NEEDLES VOL 2 by Nobuaki Tadano


7 Billion Needles, Volume 27 Billion Needles, Volume 2 by Nobuaki Tadano
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a not very exciting follow up to Volume 1. Hikaru and some of her friends return to the island on which she was raised. Hikaru wants to visit her father's grave. He died in a suspicious accident after he let down the islanders' dreams of wealth by misinterpreting granite for some substance known as "black ore." (Googling "black ore" comes up with references to its uselessness, although there are directions for making earrings from it.)

Hikaru cannot shed her alien inhabitant, since he has not finished repairing her body after blowing it to bits when he crash landed on earth. Maelstrom, the bad alien, shows up on the island even though he was apparently killed at the end of Volume 1. There are lots of flashbacks and dream sequences and another battle to the death at the end. But Tadano has a surprise ending that bodes well for Volume 3.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment